Last Updated on
White beans, bacon, and rosemary make for a fragrant and hearty combo. This is easy to prep but needs a few hours to simmer so it’s great for a weekend meal. Or if you work from home like me, throw it together over a lunch break, or while you’re attending a virtual meeting. Then enjoy the intoxicating smell of rosemary…
PS – The pic above has an overabundance of rosemary – much more than the recipe calls for.
PSS – It’s delicious with Bacon and Caramelized Shallot Biscuits.
- 2 big sprigs rosemary
- 4 pieces of bacon, uncooked
- 1 plus litre(s) of chicken stock (low or no sodium)
- 2 14 oz cans of white beans (drained)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons roasted garlic OR caramelized shallots
- Optional: 1 teaspoon roasted garlic, minced
- salt and pepper
- Wrap bacon around rosemary, affixing with wooden skewers.
- In a large pot, sauté the shallots in olive oil until brownish.
- Optionally, add the roasted garlic.
- Add the bacon/rosemary skewers, chicken stock, and white beans.
- Simmer on low heat for a few hours until the bacon and rosemary are melting off the skewer. The longer the better. The beans will be quite soft. Add more chicken stock near the end if necessary.
- Remove the skewers and any big pieces of rosemary.
- Add chicken stock as necessary to thin.
- Season with black pepper.