Toasted almonds and coconut are combined with miso, maple syrup, and chili oil to make a slightly salty, slightly sweet, satisfyingly crunchy topping for chicken breasts. Serve it with a rich ginger-infused Kabocha Squash Puree. And sigh.
Almond, Coconut, and Miso-Crusted Chicken
- 4 large chicken breasts
- 1 1/2 cups toasted almonds, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup toasted unsweetened coconut
- 3 tablespoons miso
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 4 teaspoons chili oil
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- In a small bowl, combine the almonds, coconut, miso, maple syrup, and chili oil.
- In a small frying pan, melt the coconut oil.
- Put the chicken on a baking sheet, and brush with melted coconut oil.
- Coat the chicken with the almond topping and drizzle lightly with more coconut oil.
- Bake at 350 for 20 to 30 minutes until done.
Ginger Kabocha Squash Puree
- 1 large kabocha squash, roasted until soft
- 4 tablespoons minced ginger
- 4 tablespoons brown butter, baby
- milk (I used whole goat, any kind of milk will do)
- In a small frying pan, melt the brown butter.
- Add the ginger and cook over low heat, letting the flavours mingle and flirt for about 5 minutes.
- In a blender, puree the roasted squash, ginger, and brown butter, adding milk as necessary to thin.