Halloween’s coming and I’ve got candy apples stuck in my head! This quick pie offers a lighter apple treat that doesn’t take a lot of prep time. Pomegranate reduction provides the sweet and gooey edge, while Panko crumbs make for a light crunch. This is delicious alone or served with yogurt, whipped cream, or ice cream.
PS – If you’re looking for something more ambitious for Halloween, check out my Charcoal Black Devil’s Food Cake with Sour Cherry Hibiscus ‘Blood.’
This makes enough to fill an 8 inch cast iron frying pan.
- 1 cup pomegranate juice
- 3 apples (I left the skin on but it’s up to you!)
- panko crumbs
- brown butter, or regular butter
- grated lemon
- In a small saucepan, reduce the pomegranate juice until it’s about 1/3 of a cup.
- Slice the apples.
- Assemble the pie in a cast iron pan:
- brush the bottom of the pan with brown butter
- put one layer of the apples in
- sprinkle lightly with sugar
- sprinkle lightly with Panko crumbs
- drizzle with pomegranate reduction
- Repeat until you have several layers.
- Bake at 350 until the apples are softened and the pomegranate juice is thickened and bubbly.
- Serve with yogurt, ice cream, or whipped cream, topped with grated lemon peel.
What’s your favourite Halloween treat?