Start your day off right! A rich and yolky fried egg with herbaceous basil cilantro dressing on a base of fresh greens − if your tastebuds could talk they’d be thanking you!
This is quick to prepare but you do need a good blender for the dressing.
Since the size of a bunch of basil or cilantro will obviously vary, I am basing this on a bunch being about 1 cup of herbs each. You may need to adjust the amount of lemon juice and/or olive oil to suit your quantities. And don’t worry if you have more of one herb or the other, or if you like one more than the other than adjust to your taste!
- 12 cups of baby greens
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 cup lemon juice, plus additional as needed
- approx. 1 cup olive oil divided into 2/3 cup olive oil + 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- bunch of fresh basil
- bunch of fresh cilantro
- salt and pepper to taste
- optional, black sea salt for garnish
- In a blender, combine the lemon juice, 2/3 cup olive oil, and 1 clove of garlic until emulsified.
- Pour 1/4 of a cup out of the blender. This is dressing #1, which you’ll use this to lightly dress the greens.
- In the blender, add the remaining 1 clove garlic, the sugar, and the herbs. Pulse/blend until the herbs are combined and add additional olive oil to attain a thick consistency as necessary.
- Add more lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste. This is the Herbal Overdose dressing.
- Prepare the eggs to your liking, either frying or poaching. I like the yolk runny so it adds another sauce element.
- For each serving, dress 3 cups of the baby greens with 1 tablespoon of dressing #1, top with the poached egg, and then drizzle with the Herbal Overdose Dressing. Garnish with black sea salt.
The Back Story
I love this breakfast salad, probably because I am a freak for sauce and this one’s kind of got 3 of them if you count the yolk. I also love the dressing because I hate wasting fresh herbs, so instead of making a recipe that involve only a few tablespoons, I decided to make one that took up the whole bunch. I hope you like it as much as I do! Let me know what you think!