Why buy a jar of salsa when it’s so easy to whip up your own? It just takes a few minutes to roast the components, then you dice’em up, toss in the tequila, some citrus, and cilantro and you’re good to go! I made this to go with my Shrimp Taco Nachos, but you can also just eat this with some corn chips, or it would be great with my Spicy Chickpea Cakes, or over broiled fish or chicken. Lots of options.
- 1 1/2 cup pineapple, cut lengthways into even pieces
- 2 jalapeños, deseeded, cut in half
- 1/4 cup white onion, cut into quarters
- 1 tablespoon tequila (You can leave out if you don’t have any handy, or if you are feeding this to kids!)
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange or lime juice
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, finely minced
- Set your oven to broil on high.
- Put the cut pineapple, jalapeños, and white onion on a baking sheet.
- Place under the broiler, and broil until you see some brown bits/char. In my oven, this takes about 14 minutes but ovens vary, so you’ll want to keep close watch.
- Remove from the oven, let cool for a few minutes and then dice into salsa-appropriate sized pieces. [Confession: Sometimes when I am too lazy to dice I actually just throw everything in the blender and make a pureed version of this – doesn’t look quite so pretty but sometimes hunger overrides presentation!]
- Combine with the cilantro, tequila, and orange or lime juice, (If you are making these to go with the Shrimp Taco Nachos, use whatever citrus juice you used with the shrimp).
- Scroll on down to the comments and tell me what you think! What will you eat this with?