Don’t relegate your pickled ginger to Asian dishes, it pairs beautifully with roasted beets and fresh oranges in this composed salad, which also features blackberries and toasted macadamia nuts.
It takes at least an hour to roast the beets, but that is non-active prep time as they say. The orange chive dressing whips up quickly. The work here really is just in the composition. We’re not frou frou types here at not not, but if you are so inclined here’s a good opportunity to create orange twirls or beet roses.
Lastly, don’t waste those beet tops! It’s best to eat them when the beets are fresh so if you’re buying beets for this recipe, make the Fried Beet Top Salad with Honey Lemon Queso Freso Dressing first and then make this one.
Note: You can roast the beets ahead of time and keep them in the fridge until ready to make the salad.
- 4 small to medium sized beets (cleaned, trimmed, etc., do I need to tell you this?)
- olive oil
- 1 to 2 oranges, to taste, for salad
- 1 additional orange (for juicing)
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup avocado oil, or any mild vegetable oil
- honey or other sweetener
- salt and pepper to taste
- pickled ginger to taste
- handful of blackberries
- 4 tablespoons of macadamia nuts, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon chives, chopped, plus handful for garnish
- Slice the beets in half, place them on tinfoil covered baking sheet, and then drizzle them in olive oil and wrap them in the tinfoil. Roast for about an hour at 400 degrees, until beets are tender.
- While beets are roasting, toast the macadamia nuts for about 5-7 minutes.
- Slice one or two of the oranges into thin slices and remove the rind and seeds from the slices.
- Juice the other orange and measure out 1/4 cup of juice for the dressing.
- Combine the orange juice, about 1 teaspoon of honey (or other sweetener), and the chopped chives. Whisk in the vegetable oil, starting with the lesser amount, and add more oil to taste, as well as salt and pepper, and more sweetener if you are so inclined!
- Let the beets cool to room temperature or put them in the fridge until you are ready to make the salad.
- Slice/design the beets as you like and arrange 1 beet per plate with the orange slices, pickled ginger, blackberries, and chives.
- Dress with the orange chive dressing and garnish with the toasted macadamia nuts.