Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
Creamy roasted butternut squash soup, inspired by Thanksgiving squash with butter and brown sugar. Easy prep. Vegan or vegetarian. Gluten free.
Servings: 5 cups
- 1 butternut squash (about 3 cups) (or substitute acorn or Kabocha, or Red Kuri)
- 1 tablespoon melted butter, margarine, or oil
- 2 cups milk of choice
- 1/4 cup brown butter, vegan brown butter, or butter (See recipe notes for brown butter and vegan brown butter recipes)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 small pear (about 2/3rds of a cup)
- 1/4 teaspoon hot chili powder, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- brown sugar, to garnish
You can roast the squash earlier in the day, or the day before, then store it in a sealed container in the fridge. It will be easier to separate the squash from its skin when it is cold.
Substitutions for Butternut Squash
You can replace the butternut squash with acorn squash or Kuri squash, also known as red Kuri squash, or orange Hokkaido pumpkin.
Nutrition count is an estimate, based on using Becel margarine and cashew milk, and without the brown sugar garnish.
Calories: 184kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 24mg | Sodium: 292mg | Potassium: 330mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 9315IU | Vitamin C: 18.9mg | Calcium: 50mg | Iron: 0.6mg