Crazy Easy Vegan Queso
Spicy, dairy-free queso that's just crying out for some corn chips. Easy prep - just blend all the ingredients, transfer to a saucepan and heat until bubbly. Features our vegan comfort food recipe jumper-starter - the Mother Mix, but you can use the equivalent ingredients which are provided in the recipe.
Servings: 8 1/4 cup servings
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric (optional, for colour)
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 t teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt (or sub regular table salt, but reduce to 1/2 teaspon, adding more to taste)
- 1/2 cup coconut cream (this is thick layer at the top when you open a can of coconut milk. If your coconut milk is blended, just use the milk.)
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 cups water
- 2/3 cup Mother Mix
Optionally, if you don't have the Mother Mix:
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1 tablespoon tapioca starch (also called tapioca flour)
- 1.5 tablespoons nutritional yeast (this is in addition to the nutritional yeast above)
- 1/4 cup diced tomatoes, or tomato salsa, or Rotel
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno pepper, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons diced tomatoes, tomato salsa, or Rotel
Put all ingredients except tomatoes/salsa in blender and blend on high for 1 minute.
Transfer to saucepan, and cook and stir over medium high heat until hot and bubbly.
Optionally, stir in salsa/diced tomatoes/ Rotel and heat through.
For serving, top with additional salsa/tomatoes/Rotel and jalapenos.
Storage and Reheating.
You can keep this stored in the refrigerator in a well-sealed container for 2-3 days. This tastes best served hot. Reheat it over low heat, adding a bit of water as needed to thin it out.
About Coconut Cream
The coconut cream adds the creamy mouthfeel to this recipe. Coconut cream is just the thick layer of cream that you see when you open a can of coconut milk. Some brands of coconut milk are more homogenous, with the milk and cream blended together. If yours is like that just add the cream.
Nutritional information is an estimate only, and does not include garnishes.
Calories: 91kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Sodium: 300mg | Potassium: 142mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 148IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 10mg | Iron: 1mg