1-Pot Barley Porridge
Made with pot barley, cashews, shredded coconut,
and raisins, and spiced with cardamom and ginger, this 1-pot Barley Porridge is both hearty
- 1/2 cup pot barley
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup cashew milk (or sub your favourite plant-milk, or dairy if you are not vegan/dairy-free)
- 1/4 cup canned coconut milk (not the milk substitute kind, the thicker coconut milk that's typically found in a can)
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/4 cup chopped cashews
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- milk of choice
- sweetener of choice
- shredded toasted coconut (Place coconut on baking sheet and toast under broiler for a few minutes until golden brown.)
- fresh fruit, such as blueberries, peaches, mango, plums
Combine the barley and water in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Turn heat down to medium low and simmer for about 20 to 25 minutes, until most of the water is absorbed.
Add the remaining ingredients and simmer for another 25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the barley is soft and chewy and the porridge is creamy.
Serve topped with your choice of milk and sweetener, toasted coconut, and seasonal fruit, such as blueberries, peaches, mango, or plums.
You can make this porridge ahead and reheat it with some additional milk.
The porridge will keep in the fridge for 2-3 days in a well-sealed container.
Using Other Types of Barley
If you are not sure what type of barley you have, see the image in the main section which shows pot barley, pearl barley and hulled/hull-less barley. If you have either pearl barley or hulled barley, soak the barley overnight (soak 1/2 cup barley in 1 1/4 cup water), drain it, and then using fresh water, cook it for the 45-60 minutes before doing step 2 of the recipe above.
Nutritional information is an estimate only and does not include optional toppings.
Serving: 0.75cup | Calories: 263kcal | Carbohydrates: 36g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Sodium: 58mg | Potassium: 378mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 18mg | Iron: 2mg