1-Pot Spicy Black Bean Soup
A plant-based, meal in a bowl, made with canned crushed tomatoes, coconut milk, pineapple, and spices, this Spicy Black Bean Soup takes minimal effort to make -- dump the ingredients into a soup pot and heat through. Perfect for a weeknight dinner, when you don't have anything fresh in the house, or if you need to get a hearty meal on the table fast.
Servings: 10 cups
- 3 cups cooked/canned black beans, unsalted, drained (If yours are salted, taste before adding the soy sauce/tamari. Start by adding a few tablespoons of soy sauce/tamari and add more as needed.)
- 3 cups crushed tomatoes (unsalted)
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk
- 2 cups corn, canned or frozen
- 2 cups pineapple tidbits and their juice
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup soy sauce (or tamari sauce if gluten free) (Reduce this amount if you are using salted beans and or tomatoes - start with a tablespoon and add more as needed.)
- 1 tablespoon ginger
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon hot chili powder
Optionally, to serve
- juice of one lime
- lime, sliced
- jalapeno pepper, thinly sliced
- small tomatoes, halved
- coconut milk for drizzling
Put all of the ingredients in a large soup pot and stir. Bring to a boil then turn down to a low simmer for about 15 or 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Taste and add more soy sauce if you like your food a little saltier. Optionally, squeeze in the juice from one lime.
Storage and Reheating
This will keep well in the fridge for 3-4 days. Reheat it over medium heat , stirring occasionally.
Nutritional information is an estimate only.
Calories: 162kcal | Carbohydrates: 20g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Sodium: 540mg | Potassium: 367mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 349IU | Vitamin C: 11mg | Calcium: 31mg | Iron: 3mg