Zatar Spice Blend
Zatar is a traditional Middle Eastern blend of toasted sesame seeds, herbs, and spices. Every recipe is a little different but my version contains fresh thyme, sumac, salt, and dried marjoram. It’s nutty, tangy, aromatic. And addictive!
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time5 mins
Total Time10 mins
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon sumac
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoons dried marjoram
- 11/2 tablespoons fresh thyme (See recipe notes for prep tips.)
Put the sesame seeds on a baking sheet and toast in a 350F oven for about 5-8 minutes until starting to brown.
Combine the seeds and spices.
See the serving ideas in the Eating Together Made Easy section.
- To strip the leaves off of the thyme, hold the stalk with one hand, pinching two fingers of another hand around it and gliding them down the stalk.
- This spice mix should keep for several days. I just keep mine in a bowl on my counter.
Calories: 22kcal | Carbohydrates: 3g | Fat: 1g | Sodium: 292mg | Potassium: 67mg | Fiber: 1g | Vitamin A: 10% | Vitamin C: 19% | Calcium: 6.8% | Iron: 13.2%