Light and lemony, these 1-bowl white chocolate chip cookies have a pale green hue from the not-so-secret ingredient: avocado. The avocado replaces the butter or oil in the recipe. Part cakey, part chewy, these cookies are a fun alternative to traditional chocolate chip cookies.
You can make these cookies vegan or vegetarian.
- You’ll use egg in the vegetarian version and aquafaba in the vegan version. Aquafaba is the liquid from cooked chickpeas (or other beans) — either the liquid that’s in the can of chickpeas, or liquid from the cooking water. Aquafaba has leavening properties that are similar to eggs. Your cookies might be a little less green if you use an egg.
- A variety of companies sell vegan white chocolate chips. Be sure to check the label.
- Some companies process white sugar using bone char, which means that the white sugar is not vegan. Check the label or call the company if this is a concern for you.
- Avocado replaces the traditional butter or oil in the recipe. Choose a ripe, soft avocado. You don’t want one that’s hard, or one that’s overripe, with brown or dark flesh. If you’re used to looking for the perfect avocado to make guacamole – this is the same type of ripeness that would be ideal for making these cookies.
- You can use unsalted or salted pistachios. We used roasted salted pistachios.
Making the Cookies
These cookies come together in minutes in one bowl. Just cream together the avocado, aquafaba (or egg) and sugar. Stir in the lemon zest and then mix in the flour and baking soda. The dough should be thick and sticky but still easily workable. The last step is to stir in the pistachios and white chocolate chips.
For each cookie, drop about 2 teaspoons of dough onto a baking sheet. Optionally, you can sprinkle additional white chocolate chips and pistachios on top before baking.
Other Sweet Treats
- Vegan Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 Bowl Peanut Butter Cookies (vegan and gluten-free)
- Pear and Zucchini Loaf (vegan or vegetarian)
- Vegan Brown Butter Shortbread Cookies
Lemon Pistachio White Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1/2 cup ripe avocado
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 3 tablespoons aquafaba (or 1 egg. Aquafaba is the liquid from canned or cooked chickpeas)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 3/4 cup white flour
- 1/4 cup white chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup pistachios, roughly chopped
Optionally for sprinkling on cookies before baking
- 1 tablespoon white chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon pistachios, roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the avocado, sugar, and aquafaba or egg.
- Mix in the lemon zest, and then the flour and baking soda.
- Stir in the white chocolate chips and pistachios.
- The dough will be thick and sticky. To make about 12 cookies, drop about 2 teaspoons of dough per cookie onto the cookie sheet.
- Optionally, sprinkle the tops of the cookies with extra pistachos and white chocolate chips.
- Bake for about 12 minutes, until cooked through. Let cool before eating.