Bring some sunshine into your life with this vibrant citrus fruit salad. Pair sweet oranges, tangelos or clementines with showy blood oranges, bittersweet pink grapefruit, and a smattering of lip-puckering lemon for a zesty mix of flavours. Garnish with ribbons of toasted coconut and crushed pistachios and drizzle with honey (or your favourite liquid sweetener) and you’ve got yourself a fresh and colourful breakfast, brunch, or afternoon snack.
You can choose any combination of citrus that you want but we like a mix of about 80% sweet citrus with 20% less so. Sweet includes navel oranges, mandarins, clementines, and tangelos. Blood oranges are less sweet and so are grapefruits and limes. All the way down the sour spectrum are lemons, with Meyer lemons being less sour than regular lemons.
We like a mix of at least three different kinds of citrus, but this will still be delicious with a single type.
Start by toasting the coconut. We used ribbon coconut and toasted it on a baking sheet at 350F for about 8 minutes. If you’re using shredded coconut it will likely take less time, so stay close to your oven.
Next, chop the pistachios and set aside. To prepare the citrus, use a sharp knife to make even slices, about 1/8th inch to 1/4 inch thick. Then slice off the outer peel and remove any seeds.
To assemble, place the citrus slices on a plate. Citrus is naturally pretty, so it’s easy to make this look appetizing. If you want a really clean-looking plate, make sure to gently mop up any extra juice.
Once you’ve plated your citrus, garnish with the coconut and pistachios and drizzle on your favourite sweetener.
Other Citrusy Recipes
- Hot Lemon-Aid
- Baked Vegan Lemon Cheesecake
- Cucumber, Lemon, and Sage Sipper
- Blood Orange Breakfast Salad
- No Cook Blood Orange Syrup
- Blood Orange and Carrot Cheesecake
Simple Citrus Salad
- 1 grapefruit
- 2-3 oranges or other sweet citrus fruit (use 1 type or a mix of types: tangelos, clementines, mandarins, blood oranges)
- 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup unsweetened ribbon coconut
- 1/4 cup pistachios
- liquid sweetener of choice (honey, agave, maple syrup)
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Spread out the coconut on a baking sheet and bake for about 8 minutes until toasted. Set aside.
- Roughly chop the pistachios and set aside.
- Use a sharp knife to slice the the citrus fruits into even-sized slices, about 1/8th to 1/4 of an inch. Trim the peel of the slices and remove any seeds.
- Arrange the citrus on a plate, sprinkle on the toasted coconut and pistachios, and drizzle with sweetener.
StorageThis citrus salad is best served fresh. However, you can prep the citrus a few hours before, or overnight and store it in the fridge. Garnish with the coconut, pistachios, and sweetener just before serving.
Nutritional InformationNutritional information is an estimate only, using a grapefruit, navel oranges, and a lemon as the citrus.
We love to hear from you!