Perfect for a casual get together or holiday noshing, this fun grazing platter pairs three plant-based meats with three flavour-packed sauces. First up are Mini-meatballs made with Beyond Beef Ground and brushed with a gloriously green Garlicky Chimichurri sauce that you can whip up in mere minutes.
Next up, Hot Italian Beyond Meat Sausage is made into Spicy Sausage Skewers slathered with a sweet and mustardy Brown Butter Barbecue Sauce that you can make vegan or vegetarian.
Finally, Mild Italian Beyond Beef Sausage is cut into coins and pan-fried, perfect for dunking into our Mango Mayonnaise. Make vegan mayonnaise from scratch in minutes, or use your favourite store-bought brand. Just stir in a heaping tablespoon of mango chutney and the dip is done.
Making the grazing platter isn’t a huge effort either — all in you can make the sauces and the meats in about an hour. We’ve got all the steps mapped out below so be sure to read before getting started.
Making the Grazing Platter
Step 1: Make the Sauces
Make the sauces first and set aside. If you like, you can make the Brown Butter Barbecue Sauce and the Mango Mayonnaise earlier in the day, or even the day before and refrigerate. The Garlicky Chimichurri is best made shortly before serving, but it’s a quick 3-minute recipe.
Step 2: Prepare the Meats
Prepare the mini-meatballs
Decide how many mini-meatballs you want to make. One batch of the Beyond Meat Meatball Recipe will make 20 mini-meatballs. We made all of the meatballs but used only 8 for our platter for 4 people. We reserved the others for meatball subs.
We followed the recipe except we substituted 1/4 teaspoon onion powder for fresh onion and 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder for the fresh garlic. We did this because the meatballs are small and if you don’t dice the onion and garlic finely enough it might cause the mini-meatballs to break apart a bit.
Skewer the Spicy Sausage
We used Beyond Meat Hot Italian Sausage to make the spicy skewers. We used two links of sausage, making 8 skewers.
Slice each sausage lengthwise and then slice in half. Push a wooden skewer through the sausage and flatten the sausages slightly so they will cook evenly.
Slice Mild Sausage into Coins
We used Beyond Meat Mild Italian Sausage. Two links of sausage will make 12 coin-shaped pieces. Cut each sausage into 6 pieces and press them with your fingertips to flatten into coin shapes of even thickness.
Step 3: Prepare Your Platter and Serving Dishes
You’ve got your dips made and your meat prepped. The meat takes only a few minutes to cook, so get your serving platter organized.
If you don’t have a platter big enough for all the meats and sauces, use smaller dishes assembled on a larger tray or a baking sheet.
We like the meatballs served atop some chimichurri. Spread a little chimichurri on the plate and put the remaining into a serving dish alongside. Set aside a couple tablespoons of the Brown Butter Barbecue Sauce and put the remainder in a serving dish. Put the Mango Mayonnaise in a serving dish.
Place some romaine lettuce or other greenery as a backdrop for the spicy sausage skewers.
Step 4: Cook the Meat
Now that your platter is prepared you can cook the meat.
These all cook quickly. You’ll need about 5 minutes for the Spicy Sausage Skewers and 3-4 minutes for the Mini-Meatballs and Sausage Coins.
You’ll need three burners to do everything at once. If you don’t have that, you can make one item at a time and keep them warm in a low oven. Be aware though, the longer you leave them warming the less juicy the meat will be.
Step 5: Assemble the Platter
Put toothpicks in the meatballs, brush with chimichurri sauce and place the meatballs atop the chimichurri.
Brush the reserved Brown Butter Barbecue Sauce on the Spicy Sausage Skewers. Place the skewers on the prepared platter.
Arrange the sausage coins on the platter and place the Mango Mayo close by.
You might also like:
- Beyond Meat Taco Salad
- Beyond Meat Shepherd’s Pie
- Salty Crispy Tofu
- Basil Edamame Hummus
- 3 Ingredient Sun-dried Tomato Hummus
- Crazy Easy Vegan Queso
Calculating Amounts Needed
How much you make for the grazing platter will depend on the size of your group and what other food you’re serving. The Recipe Card below provides instructions for a platter for 4 people, allowing each person 2 mini-meatballs, 2 spicy sausage skewers, and 3 sausage coins. See the graphic below for suggested amounts of different sized groups.
Printable Recipe Card
Beyond Meat Grazing Platter
- 1/2 batch Beyond Meat Meatballs Use slightly more than 1 tablespoon of beyond meat in each mini-meatball.
- 2 links Beyond Meat Hot Italian Sausage (makes 8 skewers)
- 2 links Beyond Meat Mild Italian Sausage (makes 12 sausage coins)
MAKE THE SAUCES
PREPARE THE MEATS
- Prepare the mini-meatballs, using the Beyond Meat Meatball recipe, but start with Step 3 of the instructions, replacing the onions with 1/4 teaspoon onion powder, and garlic with 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder.
- Prepare the spicy sausage skewers. Cut each piece of sausage lengthwise and then in half. Push a wooden skewer through each sausage and flatten the meat slightly so the skewers are of even thickness.
- Prepare the mild sausage. Cut each piece of sausage into 6 pieces. Use your hands to flatten each sausage into a coin shape, ensuring that the coins are of even thickness.
PREPARE YOUR PLATTER AND SERVING DISHES
- Spread a little bit of the chimichurri on the platter and put the remaining in a serving dish. Reserve a couple of tablespoons of the Brown Butter Barbecue Sauce and put the remainder in a serving dish. Put the Mango Mayonnaise in a serving dish. Place some romaine lettuce or other greenery as a backdrop for the spicy skewers. If you don't have a big platter, use smaller plates assembled on a larger tray or baking sheet.
COOK THE MEAT
- Note: You will need 3 pans and burners to cook everything at once. If you don't have that, cook the items individually and keep the other items warm in a low oven.
- Heat a heavy pan (e.g., cast iron) over medium heat. Add the meatballs and cook for 1 minute and then gently roll over. Cook for another minute and roll over. Cook for 1-2 more minutes until done.
- At the same time, heat a second heavy pan (e.g., cast iron) over medium heat. Add the spicy sausage skewers. Cook for about 2-3 minutes per side.
- At the same time, heat a third heavy pan (e.g., cast iron) over medium heat. Add the sausage coins. Cook for about 60-90 seconds, flip over and cook the other side for 60-90 seconds or until cooked through.
ASSEMBLE THE PLATTER
- Put toothpicks in the meatballs, brush some chimichurri on the meatballs, and place atop the chimichurri on the platter.
- Brush some of the Brown Butter Barbecue Sauce on the spicy sausage skewers and place on the prepared platter.
- Arrange the sausage coins on the platter and place the Mango Mayo close by.
Preparing the Sauces Ahead of TimeYou can prepare the Mango Mayo and the Brown Butter Barbecue Sauce a day ahead. Store in a well-sealed container in the fridge.
Preparing the Meat Ahead of TimeEarlier in the day you can prepare the meatballs up to the point of frying them; prepare the skewers up to the point of cooking them; and cut the sausage into coins. Store in the fridge in a well-sealed container.
Storage and ReheatingThe meatballs, spicy sausage skewers, and sausage coins are best served fresh. You can make them ahead and keep warm in a low oven; however the meat will become drier with time. You can store the cooked meat in the fridge and reheat in a low oven, but the flavour will be best fresh.
Nutritional InformationNutritional information is an estimate only based on per person serving of 2 mini-meatballs, 2 spicy sausage skewers, and 3 sausage coins, without dips or sauces.
We love to hear from you! What do you think of the grazing platter?