If you’re a fan of Mediterranean flavours, then you’ll love this Roasted Red Pepper Salad Dressing, featuring olives, fresh basil, garlic, red wine vinegar, and of course, roasted peppers. Roasting vegetables is a simple way to bring out their essence, and it’s a low effort preparation that’s definitely worth the time you put in.
Preparing the Peppers
To prepare the red peppers for roasting, cut them in half from stem to tip and remove the seeds. Lay the pepper halves cut side down on a baking sheet, and brush them lightly with olive oil. Roast the peppers for about 50 to 60 minutes, until the pepper is blackened and soft. When they are cool enough to handle, peel off the outer blackened layer.
Making the Dressing
Once you have the peppers roasted and peeled, the recipe is almost done. Add all the ingredients to a food processor or chopper. Use a low setting or pulse button to create a chunky puree. This will likely only take a few seconds.
The finished version looks like this:
I originally made this to go with this Mediterranean Salad but it’s a versatile dressing as the flavours will pair well with a variety of food, and not just salads. You could swizzle it into some fresh pasta, combine a dab with some mayo and use it as a sandwich spread, or slather it over some hot buttered corn.
Roasted Red Pepper Salad Dressing
- 2 red peppers
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons olives, pitted
- 2 tablespoons basil
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons fresh garlic
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- To prepare the peppers:Preheat the oven to 350F. Cut the peppers in half from stem to tip and remove the seeds and stem.
Brush the outside of the pepper lightly with olive oil. Lay cut side down on a baking tray and roast for 50 to 60 minutes until the outside of the pepper is blackened and the pepper is soft.
- When cool enough to handle, use a small sharp knife to pierce into the outer skin and then using your hands gently peel the outer skin from the pepper. This is easier if the peppers are cool.
- Add all of the ingredients except the salt and pepper to a small blender or chopper jar and pulse until the dressing is mixed but still chunky.Add salt and pepper to taste.